About Mrs. Benson

Hello!  My name is Jennifer Benson, and I am so lucky to be a 6th grade teacher at Camarena Elementary School.  This is my 10th year in the classroom and my 4th year as a member of the amazing Cam Fam.

I live in La Mesa with my husband, Scott, my 4 year old daughter, Ashley, and 1 year old son, Dylan.  I received my bachelor’s degree, teaching credential, and Masters degree all at San Diego State University.  GO AZTECS!!  I am originally from Agoura Hills in Los Angeles County, and I am frequently braving the 160 mile drive north with 2 little ones in the backseat to spend time with family.

My favorite subject to teach is math because I love seeing the “light bulb” go on when students realize they understand a new concept.  I am passionate about providing relevant real world learning and engaging experiences for students.  I am looking forward to getting to know all of my new students and parents.  Here’s to an exciting 2019-2020 school year!

Promotion today!

1:15 – Students are dismissed from Camarena for the last time ever!

3:30 – Students arrive dressed and ready at Eastlake Church.

4:00 – Promotion begins.  Balloons are not allowed.  Flower leis are fine.  Our class is seated in the middle of the auditorium.  We are the 3rd class to be called up for certificates.

5:00 – Promotion ends!

5 more (JAM PACKED) days! :-)

Thursday May 30th – Olympic Field Day – Students should wear RED to school.  Wear comfortable athletic clothes and shoes that you can move in.  Each class of athletes is representing a country (we are Canada) and competing in 2 athletic events.  Opening ceremonies and torch run will kick off our Olympic event.  Parent volunteers, please arrive at 8:15am.  Gold, silver, and bronze medals will be awarded to the winning athletes of each event.

Friday May 31st – Promotion Practice @ Eastlake Church & Party @ Windingwalk Park – We will be traveling by bus at 9:00am to Eastlake Church to have a run through promotion practice.  The bus will be taking us back to school by 10:45 to have lunch on campus.  After lunch, we will walk to Windingwalk Park.  Pizza will be provided by the teachers at the park.  Students can bring their own personal drink or snacks.  Students can also bring any sports equipment they want to play with.

Monday June 3rd – AMC Movie Day & 6th grade vs staff kickball game – We will be leaving Camarena at 8:45am and walking to AMC Otay Ranch to see Aladdin.  Chaperones, please arrive by 8:30am.  Snack packs are provided.  No other food items are available for purchase.  Outside food is not allowed.  We will be back on campus for regular school lunch.  In the afternoon we will be playing the annual 6th grade vs staff kickball game.  Students should wear athletic clothes and shoes.

Tuesday June 4th – Legoland – We will be traveling by bus at 9:00am to Legoland.  Chaperones, please arrive by 8:30am.  The bus will get back to Camarena around 6:30pm.  Reminders:

• Students will be with a school employee at all times.  Parent volunteers will be paired up with employees for extra supervision.
  • Admission is to the main park’s rides & shows. This  includes the park area “Pirate Shores” which has  several water rides.  Students are not allowed at the separate Legoland Water Park or Legoland Sea Life Aquarium.
  • Students must bring a sack lunch or cash for lunch.
  • Students may bring money for extra rides, games, or souvenirs.
  • Students may bring a towel or change of clothes for Pirate Shores – NO BATHING SUITS ALLOWED
  • Cameras only – NO PHONES (Chaperones will have  cell phones)
  • Students are expected to carry and be responsible  for all personal possessions.

Wednesday June 5th – Regular School Day & Promotion – This is a regular school day.  We will be practicing for promotion in the MPR.  Dismissal is at 1:15pm.  Students arrive at Eastlake Church at 3:30.  The promotion starts at 4:00pm!  Balloons are not allowed in the church.  Flowers and/or floral leis are fine.

VAPA Showcase items needed

Thank you to the amazing VAPA teachers and 6th grade parents who are working hard to put together Thursday’s VAPA Showcase night!  They are requesting that our class donate juice to have available to families at the event.  If you can, please donate any individual serving juice (juice box, Capri Sun, etc.).  Your child can bring it to class any day this week.  Thank you!

1 6 7 8 9 10 19