Scholastic Magazines

Our school has access to Scholastic Magazines online.  This is a resource that can be used for independent reading at home.  It is also being used in the classroom during guided reading.  The following 4 Scholastic magazines are listed in order of most rigorous to easiest to understand.  Students can click the link, log in with the shared password “camarena6” and browse through the latest issues or all issues (links at the top).  This is unlike Achieve 3000 because they do not answer questions or have their progress tracked.  I hope this helps promote a love for informational reading since students can pick and choose topics of interest.

Scholastic Upfront (Lexile 1000+)

Junior Scholastic (Lexile 800-1000)

Scholastic Scope (Lexile 700-800)

Scholastic News 5/6 (Lexile 400-700)

**Lexile levels are not exact!  Just my own estimate.

Camp Marston

Students will be going to Camp Marston in Julian, CA from May 18-22.  This is a once-in-a-lifetime learning experience! All students are encouraged to attend!

Visit Camp Marston YMCA website for more information about camp. Here is an orientation video and informational packet

The total cost of $310 will be due on Friday, March 20, 2019.  You will be able to make a one-time payment or monthly payments to cover the expense.  Please notify me to discuss which payment option is best for your family. Cash or checks are accepted. Checks need to be made out to Camarena Elementary, please write 6th grade camp in the memo.

Fundraising is available.  More details to come regarding the Butter Braid fundraiser.

Daily Homework

Now that our class is full swing, I wanted to explain my expectations for homework and ensure everyone is on the same page.

**I strive to keep the nightly homework to a minimum!  I want the students to work hard during class and play and love hard at home. **

Monday-Thursday Homework

Reading – Read for 40 minutes and get the weekly homework chart / reading log signed.  I do not believe in nightly reading reflections/summaries.  The students are analyzing text, writing reflections, and discussing what they read in class all day.  I want the nightly reading to be relaxed and enjoyable to promote a love for reading.  I encourage the students to read text that challenges them, but I also want them to read what they enjoy.  Your signature on the nightly log is my “proof” that reading for 40 minutes took place each night.  Students should be reading 1 book from beginning to end… the same book that is read for homework should then be brought to class and read during the day.  If a student wants to spend 40 minutes on Achieve 3000, that is fine also.  However, any activities completed after 3pm will automatically not be factored into Lexile adjustment.

Math – 5 problems are assigned each night.  The assignment is called “Fresh 5” because it covers all standards taught from the beginning of the year to the most current lessons, so it keeps everything fresh in their memory.  If a student doesn’t understand a question, I ask that he/she at least TRY.  This might just be rewriting the key information or starting to draw a number line.  Every day during class, we go over all 5 problems together, so any questions will be answered and addressed.

Other HW – Sometimes classwork becomes homework.  This might be a writing assignment on Google classroom, an ongoing project, or math classwork assignments.  If class time is used wisely, these extra homework assignments should be rare.

Friday “Homework”

Every Friday, we record all current test scores, late homework assignments, and progress on Achieve 3000 for the week.  (The goal is to do 4 or more activities with a score of 88% or higher each week.)  Please sign this Friday report (the back of the homework chart / reading log) before Monday morning.

A note on communication

Each morning, student homework checkers look at the homework chart / reading log and math assignments.  I do not necessarily see these items each day.  If you have anything you need to communicate with me about, please do not write me on these papers as I may not see it.  Or, make sure your child shows me what you wrote!  A better way to get in touch with me is always email.

Office Forms

Today your child is coming home with 3 forms from the office to fill out.

• White packet – cut out, fill out, and return the 2 forms in the packet
  • White paper with student picture – check front side for correctness.  Make notes of any changes.  Fill out additional information on the bottom. Fill out emergency card on the back side.
  • Green paper with student picture – check front side for correctness.  Make notes of any changes..  Fill out additional information on the bottom.

Important Info

Here you can find the 6th grade syllabus and the presentation from yesterday’s back to school night informational meeting.

If you have not already done so, please have your child turn in the following items tomorrow:

• parent email address 1/2 sheet
  • syllabus signature sheet

Also, the manila envelopes did not have any forms that needed to be filled out as there were in years past.  The office is providing these forms to teachers and I will send them home with your child tomorrow.

Thank you!  Now on to day 3!!!

1 5 6 7 8 9 19